Prevent spills from becoming stains.
It’s a mathematical certainty: Accidents are going to happen. Here are a few spot removal tips to keep in mind whenever you have that inevitable “oops.” Many of these are common sense notions. Some may surprise you. But all are effective in to helping your carpet look its best.
1. Respond to a spill or accident quickly. Even with the most stain-resistant carpet fibers, the longer you wait to clean it up, the greater the risk of the stain becoming permanent. This is especially true of mustard, red wine or grape juice spills – in other words, foods and liquids with deep coloring.
2. Start with a white absorbent cotton towel or a plain white paper towel to blot up the spill. There’s always the possibility that the dyes in a printed towel could be transferred to your carpet. To keep it from spreading, start blotting around the spill’s outside edge and work your way in toward the center. Keep blotting until the area is only barely damp.
3. One of the best spot removal tips we know of is to purchase a spot remover with the Carpet and Rug Institute Seal of Approval. It’s your assurance you’re getting the best product available. And don’t wait until you have an accident! Buy it ahead of time and keep it where you can get to it.
4. Don’t have a remover handy? Believe it or not, plain water often works very well.
5. You can also try a detergent solution of ¼ teaspoon of a clear dishwashing liquid mixed with one cup of warm water. This formula works well for spilled wine or chocolate.
The best spot removal tips always include a dose of caution. Be careful to always follow your manufacturer’s advice on stain removal. And always include the testing of any product you apply in a location that won’t be noticed (in a closet, for example). Never, ever scrub your carpet to get a stain out. You may well end up making the problem worse.
For more spot removal tips, go to Beaulieu® of America Carpet Care Guide & Warranty Information. There you’ll find a list of remedies for a variety of spilled substances. You can also call 800-944-2840 for spot removal recommendations specifically for your Bliss® carpet – the carpet that’s designed by and for women.